Friday, June 12, 2009

A Day with Jaker-Boy

     This is Jake's first week out of school.  He has not been to pleased with the weather.  All this rain has turned most of his friends into video game magnets.  Every day this week I have had something going on, but not today.  I told Jake we could do what ever he wanted.  He told me he wanted to go up town to the City Library.  I told him I would take him some place even cooler.
     This is Sam Weller's Book Store.  I love this place, when I worked up town I would go into this book store and just wander through the pathways, containing shelves and stacks of books. The store opened in 1929.  The thing that endears me the most is all of the little nooks, and of course the books.
     I totally loved the big smile on Jake's face as we roamed up and down the isles that were sprinkled with book after book.  There is nothing quite like the joy that comes from sharing the same interests with your children.
I took this picture of us.

     Soon Jake and I were sidetracked and off on our own.  I love going to a book store with another book lover, because you don't have to entertain them or stay with them, you are both content to lose your self between the isles and the pages.

     I ran across some shelves of old romance novels.  These books were only twenty-five cents, and now they are being sold for $10.00 to $20.00.  I thought about purchasing "The Fate of the Immodest Blonde", but it looked to scary.
     If you are thinking about checking out Sam Weller's, you better hurry.  They are going to move to a new location.  It is really sad, and it just won't be the same.  I really love the old building there is something nostalgic about it.

After this we ate lunch at Lamb's Cafe another one of Main Streets treasures.
Jake was really being a good sport letting me take all these pictures.

After lunch meandered through the Hope Gallery, and enjoyed all of the Fine  Art.
     We ended the day walking past this creepy alley.  I think Jake would have liked to walk down this alley, he can do these kind of activities with his dad, not me.


9 comments:

Karen said...

What a fun day with Just Jaker boy!!!

Melissa said...

What a fun day! I heard that Sam Wheller's was closing down or moving. I've never eaten at the Lamb's cafe it always sounded scary to me since I thought it was just a place that served lamb.

J + K said...

What a delightful trip to town you two enjoyed. And to think you didn't even call me. I have worked downtown for 38 years (and counting!) I lunch at Lamb's multiple times each week, and Sam Weller's is one of my favorite places, as well. Let's do it again next month. I'll buy lunch for whoever wants to come.

Grandpa Curtis

Carson said...

What a fun mom and son date! Looks like you had a great day.

Unknown said...

That looks like fun. I too have never been to Lambs but have always wanted to. Tell Grandpa Curtis I'm in! Ha Ha! Seriously though, I am sad about Sam Wellers leaving downtown. Another fun place next time you go is Ken Saunders Used Books, that is a really fun place too!

Jacynthe said...

You are such a cool mom!!

brittani c. said...

You've posted a ton lately. Jaker boy looks like a little Jaker man. He's soooo handsome!

Sad that Sam Weller's is moving. Boo.

Anonymous said...

I love that bookstore! When I worked downtown I would wonder through there all the time! What a fun little mom/son date!

Lizzy Hortin said...

Sounds like a fun, eventful day! I'll have to hurry and check put that awesome book store before it moves!