Monday, May 19, 2008

Kendra Driving?

No that is not a typo.  Kendra will be able to get her learners permit in August, and she begs me almost everyday to take her driving in the church parking lot.  So Friday night while Jonathan was at the game watching the Utah Jazz tank, I took her to the Church parking lot.  She was so excited.

She got all situated in the driver's seat and I asked her what the first thing that you do is.  She looked at me a little puzzled and said, "Turn the keys?"  Wrong!  Guess again.  She did get this correct on her second try, "Buckle your seat belt".  So she turned the keys and started the super cool mini van (lucky girl).  She started really slow, and I told her to try the breaks.  She quickly figured out that the breaks are a little sensitive, after her third try.  After figuring out the breaks she asked me how to Rev.  I thought she was being funny (she wasn't, and isn't).  She was very giddy and wanted to try to turn the car, then she asked me how to do donuts.  No I am not making this up.  I told her that should be the last thing on her mind.  The next thing we knew the parking lot was being infiltrated with little skater dudes.  She very skillfully maneuvered around them and circled around the building.  At this point I came to the conclusion that Jonathan will be responsible for teaching all of the children to drive.  The funny thing is our driving adventure only lasted about 3 to 4 minutes.

.  

What happened to the good old days, when I didn't have to worry about her driving skills.  All she had to do was push on the petal and she was off.

10 comments:

Brittany said...

That is so funny! I remember my Mom taking me driving and just freaking out the whole time. When we got home she said "John, YOU teach her how to drive." Of course in those days we got our permits at 14 and our licenses at 15. Scary!

Rebecca said...

Welcome to the scarey world of teen drivers! I can't stand being in the car when my kids are learning to drive. John just sits there, calmly, does his crossword puzzle, yada, yada, yada, all the while, the darling little teen of ours is zooming down the freeway! No thanks, I stay home for all this!

Carson said...

I can't believe that she is going to be driving! Good luck Kendra and Jenny:)!

Karen said...

Oh, I don't even know what to say... I can't believe my little Kendra girl is growing up so fast!
Jenny I know hoe you are about driving...It might be a good thing to let Jonathan teach her! J/K

Jacynthe said...

Oh I have gotten a lot of gray hair since Nelson learned how to drive. Elise is next and I am not looking forward to it! Thank goodness, they don't have text messaging on their cell phones!

brittani c. said...

What an exciting milestone. I hear that girls are worse than boys when it comes to learning how to drive. That said, good luck!! ;)

p.s. how many more years does Kendra have to have permission to drive Jonathan's new truck?

Anonymous said...

Holy Moley... she is getting big! It is sad that her and Jalissa are all grown up and learning how to drive!

J + K said...

As Rebecca said - "welcome to the scary world of teen drivers!" I thought I had to teach Dale. I did not know there were any other options. I learned there was private driver's education. I personally did not get in a car driven by one of may son's for at least twelve months after they had a license.

Melissa said...

I think teaching kids to drive is really best for the dad's. When my mom took me the first time, she wouldn't even let my hit the gas, we just had to coast around the parking lot!

Andrew said...

I am glad that we will be far far back in Ohio by the time Kendra gets her license. No offense Kendra, but I've seen you drive the motorcycles at Huntsville.