It was interesting talking to each one of our children and having them share what they remember about September 11. Jake was only in first grade. He can recall all of the teachers watching it on TV all day at school.
He said, "When I came home from school I went downstairs and mom was wearing a white t-shirt and levi pants. She was sitting on the coffee table watching TV and crying. I asked her what was wrong and she just kept staring at the TV."
I can still remember how difficult it was to explain to my young children what happened and I can still hear them asking me, "But why mommy? Why would someone want to hurt all of those people that they don't know."
Nicole was only two years old, and she doesn't have any memories of 9-11. Yet, yesterday as we discussed what happened on that day 7 years ago, she asked the same question, "Why?"
I don't know that we will ever understand why, but I do think that it is important that we help our children to remember what happened on September 11th.

"You can be sure that the American
spirit will prevail over this tragedy."
--Colin Powell
7 comments:
Thanks for sharing. I won't ever understand either why so many terrible things happen in the world...
I couldn't have said it better myself.
My dear sis-in-law,
I just wanted to refer you to your favorite NASCAR blog. XOXO
Jenny- I couldn't agree with you more!
Hugs
Conner asked me about it too. He was only 3 when it happened and never knew about it. I figured he was old enough to know... still tough to explain tho
I am so glad you teach you kids about 9-11, I asked the girls in Activity Days what they thought about it, an most of them didn't know what it was. It is sad how soon we forget.
What a wonderful parenting job you two are doing! Every time I am around your kids they radiate such a special spirit! They are a joy to be with. How did you two ever accomplish this? I have known you forever and one of you has a pretty scary past! Just kidding we love you tons, ALL of you!
Post a Comment