Sunday, June 8, 2008

Ticks

     This is a tick.  I have heard stories about ticks all my life.  I remember being terrified when I went to Girls Camp, that I might meet up with one of these deadly creatures.  I have never even seen what these little guys look like, until I pulled up the image on google.  
     Well, yesterday Jake brought one of these *(hingle guys) home with him from the Father Son camp out.  It was attached to his hip, he could not get it off.  Jonathan was able to pry the thing off him, and then it instantly attached to Jonathan's hand.  Then Jonathan pulled him off his hand, threw it on the ground and ended its life.  
     Later that night Nelson (our nephew) came over, and you won't believe it, but he also had an encounter with a tick (his was also attached to the hip).  After prying the tick off he flushed the *(hingle guy) down the toilet.
     Both boys seem to be doing fine.  Neither of them have been asking for limes, so we are assuming that they didn't contract Lyme Disease (Lyme Disease is real and should not be taken lightly).  Yes, I was very tempted to add the county song Ticks onto my playlist, but I avoided the temptation.  

*hingle guy (another word for bug)

10 comments:

Melissa said...

That's so creepy! One time we had a patient come in and complained of having a new black mole and I got a really close look and saw that it was actually a big tick in his leg!

brittani c. said...

For the amount of times I've been camping in the Uintahs, etc., I haven't had a tick burrowed in my skin. Knock on wood.

Karen said...

First off...you should really change your music, you are missing out on a prime opportunity to have the perfect song to go with your post!!! (really are you that lazy?) Second... That is weird that Jaker boy got a tick! Make sure the boys check everywhere and not just there hips! As for Jonathan he is one person I would NOT want to check for ticks (or squirrels)

Rebecca said...

Did you make sure the tick's head was not still in him, that is very common, also, sorry not to be gross, but make sure they check their "area covered by swimsuit" a very common tick area. Signed, by an experienced tick mom!

Anonymous said...

Yikes!! Ticks are so yucky! Good luck with that and I agree... you are missing out on a tick music opportunity!

Jacynthe said...

My baby had a tick!!! I hope he won't get sick. Thanks for watching out for him. Did you look at both boys' hair? The ticks often lodge themselves there. Yuck!!

anderson's said...

yuck! Arn't you so happy you didn't have to pull that sucker off of his hip?? I would die!!

Brittany said...

Dang! I am glad Christian's didn't attach to his skin! Your "Lime" joke was really funny by the way.

Andrew said...

Lyme Disease, caused by the Ixodes tick. Symptoms of a large, expanding "bull's eye" rash at site of bite and chronic arthritis at large joints (mostly the knee). Treat with Doxycycline.

I have to know all that crap and a lot of other minutia for next Tuesday's 8 hour test. You don't know how sick I am of studying.

Plumber said...

Thanks Dr. Andrew. We would like you to inspect both boys over the 4th, just to make sure they are ok.