Thursday, November 13, 2008

Deception

     On Wednesday I had a consultation with Dr. Rizzo, for a crown lengthening.  I just had some dental surgery 3 weeks ago, and now I need to have a crown lengthening done.  It doesn't sound to bad?  I imagined them scewing something in my tooth to make it longer, hence the name crown lengthening.  Well when I went in for the consultation, they had time so I decided to do the procedure right then, so that I wouldn't have to reschedule.  
     Well guess what crown lengthening is?  Basically it is another surgery.  What they do is cut into your gum, and then cut out tissue and bone to expose more of the tooth.  This is what they did to me on Wednesday morning.  The stitches stay in for 10 days, I am on more antibiotics, and pain pills and once again recovering from some more dental surgery.  
     After I am done blogging I am going to email the National Dental Association, and see what they can do about changing the name of that procedure.  Here are a few ideas Gum Mutilation Surgery or Incisor Obliteration Surgery.  Crown Lengthening?  Talk about sugar coating!
     I am just glad that it is over with.  (I wanted to share a picture of the procedure, but they are all way to disgusting)

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Sugar coating....hummm I do not think the dentist would like that!!! This sounds more like "dental torture" to me. I am sorry for all your dental woes!!!

Melissa said...

That does not sound fun, I hope you have a quick recovery!

Andrew said...

All sounds very interesting to me. ;)

Karen said...

I am so sorry... I wish I could say I hate the Dentist,although I really love my Dentist!!! I used to be able to fit right in with everyone when they talked about hating the Dentist, now I just have to be quiet and listen... Love ya tonz!!! I hope you are felling better!

Jacynthe said...

I wish you would have called me! I would have been happy to explain to you what the procedure is. I am so sorry you had to have that done but in the long run, it is best. Many people don't do it and end up with severe gum disease later on and then loose the tooth.
I am assuming you don't like me much since I am one of those dentites... :(

brittani c. said...

I'm sure they'll numb you right up or give you some "laughing gas" to make you delirious to not even care about the torture they're doing to your mouth.

Maybe it won't be that bad?

Anonymous said...

oh yuck! I am sorry you have to have that "dental torture" procedure done! You are much braver then I am!

anderson's said...

With all of the dentists & dental professionals in the family you could have called one of us...still, not a fun procedure to go thru! Think of it as a time to get pampered & spoiled by your family! :)